Midfielder Will Button carries the ball against Brown on Saturday, March 4. Button scored two goals in the Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team’s loss to Providence on Saturday. BRITTNEY DIETZ/THE STATESMAN

Though attackman Jonathan Huber sent the game into overtime with a wild buzzer-beater, the Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team’s fortunes did not carry into the extra period.

The Seawolves (2-4) traveled to Rhode Island on Saturday for a showdown with the Providence Friars. Stony Brook rallied twice, but it still fell 10-9 to lose its second-straight game.

With his second goal of the game, Providence midfielder Ty Thureson gave his team an 8-5 lead with just 1:35 remaining in the third quarter. Stony Brook’s offense fell asleep in the frame, scoring only one goal and entering the fourth quarter down by three.

But the Seawolves woke back up during crunch time of the fourth quarter. Within the first five minutes of the quarter, Stony Brook crept back with a pair of unassisted goals from attackman Dylan Pallonetti and midfielder Will Button. Now trailing by just one goal, midfielder Matt Anderson gave Stony Brook the equalizer with just over six minutes remaining.


With just under a minute and a half remaining, Providence attackman Jack Horrigan shot one under the reach and to the left of goalkeeper Jamison MacLachlan to complete a hat trick. His third goal of the game broke the tie and gave Providence a 9-8 lead.

Stony Brook was left with only 1:22 to engineer another comeback, and it used every second it had left to do so. During the last three seconds of the game, Pallonetti slung a pass to Huber, who was stationed in front of the net. While trying to separate from a defender, Huber spun around and launched a shot in desperation as he fell down. The shot was right on the money and slipped past Providence goalkeeper James Corasaniti to tie the game at the bell.

Despite the late-game dramatics, Horrigan pulled through and won the game for Providence, scoring the walk-off goal with 2:28 remaining in overtime.

Head coach Anthony Gilardi commended his team’s resiliency, as they were able to overcome deficits of both three and four goals during regulation.


“I am proud of the effort and heart to battle back and find a way to tie it up,” Gilardi said in a postgame interview with Stony Brook Athletics. “We had plenty of chances throughout the game that we need to capitalize on. We are in position to make plays and have to start consistently making them in the moment.”

The game was very even-keeled. Both teams took 41 shots, but Stony Brook created more good looks. The Seawolves totaled 28 shots on goal, which was six more than the Friars had. 

Stony Brook owned the advantage in possession, scooping up 29 ground balls to Providence’s 21. The team also won 11 of its 21 total faceoffs. The Seawolves also committed four fewer turnovers than the Friars.

Pallonetti led Stony Brook with three points, as he scored two goals and had the team’s only assist. Button and Anderson also tallied two goals each. Attackman Blake Behlen and midfielder Noah Armitage both scored one goal each along with Huber.

Long stick midfielder Christian Lowd led the Seawolves with three caused turnovers and scooped up four ground balls. MacLachlan led the team with five ground balls.


While filling in for injured faceoff specialist Renz Conlon, Declan Mitchell had a decent game. He won 10 of his 19 faceoffs and picked up four ground balls for Stony Brook.

Goaltending was excellent on both sides, but Providence had a significant upper hand. Though McLachlan saved 12 of the 22 shots he faced, Corasaniti saved 19 of Stony Brook’s 28 shots on goal.

After losing the last two games, Stony Brook will look to get its next victory on Tuesday when it hosts the St. John’s Red Storm. Opening face-off will be at 6 p.m. The Red Storm are currently 0-6 after losing 17-9 to No. 12/11 Jacksonville on Saturday. This will be the Seawolves’ last nonconference game of the season before they make their Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) debut.

“We have a quick turnaround to finish up our nonconference slate before CAA play begins,” Gilardi said. “We need to get back to work and be ready for Tuesday night.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.